“You can count the seeds in an apple, but you can’t count the apples in a seed.”
Dr. Peter Fang shared this proverb during the signing ceremony of the Deed of his Donation for the Sts. Cosmas and Damian Simulation and Research Center held last March 18, 2022 at the UST Rector’s Hall.
Indeed, no words can better describe the bountiful generosity that has flowed from him and his wife, Dr. Linda Sy-Fang, in the name of gratitude and trust towards their alma mater UST-FMS. They are among the many Thomasian alumni who contribute to the scholarship fund now being enjoyed by more future Thomasian physicians. And now, with their donation of 4 million US dollars towards the Center, their generosity can assure that these future doctors will be trained with the latest technology and interventions in healthcare.
But as the proverb goes, generosity does not end there.
To encourage more UST-FMS alumni to give back to their alma mater by paying forward to the future Thomasian doctors, Drs. Peter and Linda Fang will donate 250 US dollars in honor of each of the first 400 US-based donors who will make a donation through a donor-advised fund towards the St. Cosmas and St. Damian Simulation and Research Lab campaign.
This inspired the new fundraising endeavor of AFI: the Seeds of Generosity Campaign.
This campaign is open to all US-based Thomasian alumni who wish to share their gift of resources to the current students of UST-FMS. For those who are interested in partaking of this mission, here is a brief step-by-step process in opening a donor-advised fund so you can begin your donation process:
- Go to the website of Schwab Charitable to access the Application Form: https://www.schwabcharitable.org/new-account-application
- You may choose to apply online or manually.
- Minimum grant is $50.
- You may skip pages 3,4,5,6, and 7 and leave blank because there is no need to name any Secondary Account Holder (unless you want to.) No need to choose any Succession Plan option or Legacy Charitable Beneficiary option at this time.
On Page 8, choose CORE ACCOUNT, then choose MONEY MARKET POOL – 100%,
- On Page 9 under source of funds, choose SALARY/WAGES/SAVINGS.
- Under CONTRIBUTIONS TO YOUR ACCOUNT, choose CASH CONTRIBUTION, then specify amount.
- For those applying manually, the simplest way is to choose Core Account; print out the application form; fill out manually and enclose a Check as Cash contribution and send to address given on page 12. However, if you wish to transfer non-cash assets from another institution, you need to fill out the Transfer of Assets Form.
- Administrative fee: 0.6% of asset or $100 whichever is greater per year. (Subject to change.)
- Call 800-746-6216 and ask for assistance. Make sure to say you only have a DAF and would like to receive the acknowlegement of contribution letter. Verify who you are and ask to have the letter e-mailed to you. Save the letter for tax purposes.
- Ask to have your account to be web enabled. Make sure to ask for your full account number.
- Log in to the Schwab Charitable Client Center. Operator will walk you through the log in process. Be ready to have thought of a screen name and password of your choice.
- Inform operator/donor specialist that you are going to use NGOSource to grant ANARGYROI:FMS FOUNDATION, INC and connect you with a “Schwab charitable international granting” officer who will send you a separate e-mail with required form to fill once you are ready to grant.
- Download SCHWAB MOBILE app and register your phone/tablet as a trusted devise.
- On your app, tap on Charitable Gift Account when you are ready to grant.
AFI — the UST Faculty of Medicine and Surgery foundation and the aggregator of donated funds for the FMS — is now recognized as a U.S. public charity through equivalency determination. This means that US-based donors can now streamline their donations to AFI and be eligible for tax deduction, as we are now recognized as a U.S. public charity under Section 501(c)(3) by virtue of this Equivalency Determination certification.
Interested donors and partners may contact AFI for more information on projects and programs that can be supported through our email address email@example.com.
Let us sow the seeds of generosity today, and harvest limitless fruits in the future!